Tuesday, December 02, 2008

tips on dealing with a cranky or otherwise emotional fifteen-year-old girl

(I try not to go into this subject much, but it seems some people would benefit instruction. Statistically, I'm probably not looking at you, whoever you are.)
  1. If something you said seems to have struck a nerve, do not comment on this fact.
  2. If she's upset, probably just leave her alone. She's sulking. Attention will make it worse.
  3. If she's angry, don't be condescending. It will not help.
I'll probably think of some more later when I'm less calm.

7 comments:

  1. The same applies to fourteen-year-old girls.

    Also;
    4.Saying the same annoying phrase over and over, week after week(such as "Have a little coffee with your sugar") may seem amusing to you, but will NOT seem amusing to her.

    5.(Pretty similar to #2) if she's in her room, crying or similarly engaged, esp. if she has the door locked, your attention just might not be welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes. I still think I'm fourteen most of the time.

    I wish I had a lock on my bedroom door.

    6. (little more ranting) If she feels embarrassed, she doesn't want to talk about it. Especially if she tells you she doesn't want to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you really only fifteen?

    I'm very, very lucky to have one on my door. It works pretty well, too. You actually have to go get a screwdriver and take the doorknob off to unlock it.

    7. Her friends have names. And since you'll probably be introduced to them at some point or another, USE them. Don't just call them "Your friend".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of a reason I would benefit from lying about my age. Yes, I'm fifteen. Are you fourteen?

    You can't even get in with a credit card?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fourteen and a HALF. There's a difference. (: For some reason I thought you were way older.. huh.

    Nope!
    You might be able to with a ball point pen.. I've never tried that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same at eighteen. Hmmm. I wonder, does it ever change?

    ReplyDelete
  7. NFJ: Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know. I guess I'm... fifteen years, four months, one week, five days.

    TQ: Oh, I hope so.

    ReplyDelete