I got this e-mail yesterday:
Dear NaNoWriMo 2007 Winner,
Last November, you and those typing fingers of yours did something amazing. And while you were busy bashing out your novel, we were frantically trying to line up a prize worthy of your feat.
Our goal was to find a self publishing company who would give every NaNo winner a free copy of his or her winning manuscript in paperback book form. It's taken us until now, but we've finally found them.
CreateSpace, an Amazon.com Inc. owned company, is generously offering every NaNoWriMo 2007 winner a "free proof copy" of their 2007 manuscript. What this means: A free proof copy of your manuscript in paperback book form–just by following the instructions below. They'll even cover the costs of basic shipping to you.
To redeem the offer, you'll need a special NaNoWriMo winner's promo code.
Yours is: [code here]
It's good for six months from today. Here's how you go about using it:
1) Go to http://www.createspace.com/nanowrimo and create a free member account.
2) Set up your title: you will be asked to fill in information such as title, author name, page count, etc.
3) Submit your title: make sure that your title’s information is accurate and complies with CreateSpace's Submission Requirements. Your Submission will be reviewed to ensure it can be printed.
4) When everything's uploaded and perfect, just request a proof copy and use the above discount code at check out. Presto!
After you receive your proof copy, you can then choose if you want to make it available to the public at large—everything from showing up for sale on Amazon.com to complete invisibility.
We asked CreateSpace to write up an introduction to who they are and what they do, and I'm pasting that below. You can also read a bunch of their helpful FAQs about copyright, ISBNs, and other important matters at http://www.createspace.com/Help/Book/FAQ.jsp
And if you have any further questions, you can contact them directly: http://www.createspace.com/Special/SalesInquiry.jsp
Thanks so much to CreateSpace for making our dream-prize come true! And congrats again on your NaNoWriMo victory. We look forward to another year of literary abandon together this November.
CreateSpace, an Amazon.com, Inc company, provides one of the easiest and most economical ways to self-publish your work. CreateSpace offers self-service publishing tools that allow you to upload ready-to-print PDF book files and make your trade paperback book(s) available for sale on Amazon.com and your own E-store with no setup fees. Your product is manufactured and shipped only when customers order so there is no need for a large upfront investment in inventory to start selling.
CreateSpace Key Features & Benefits:
· No setup fees for the CreateSpace Standard Program and no print minimums
· CreateSpace Pro Plan enables you to keep more on every sale and pay less when you order copies of your own book
· An inventory-free fulfillment model
· Earn monthly royalties based on the list price you set
· Non-exclusive agreement keeps your publishing options open
· One of the easiest ways to distribute through www.amazon.com
· CreateSpace ISBN provided at no additional charge
· Amazon's Search Inside!™ feature for your book
· Choose from many different trim size options and print in full-color or black & white
· CreateSpace also allows you to self publish video and audio content via DVD, CD, MP3, and video download; and distribute your music or video through Amazon.com as well.