Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A born teacher?

Maybe he is growing up… a little…

First of all, did you know i teach piano lessons? Sort of. (i don't get paid, but it's fun.) I started August 31. Teaching Oly'Anna S..* First of all, she's smrt.** You know fingerings and ups*** and downs**** and all that? She got that, no problem. (Some [nobody who reads my blog or related to one who does] of my Mom's students have trouble with that, and i have no idea how! It's just not as hard as all that!)

But anyway, the fact is that i teach weekly.

And then last Monday we had our usual church schedule, which began with Children's Choir (i'm still in it - for the sake of the choir, i say) practice. But Mom had opened the garage door when we were leaving, and forgot that that would set off the alarm. She ran home to tell the police that it's all right, and i started choir practice. Hm. Well. I don't think i'm all that ready for teaching a choir yet. I'd rather sit in the back and know all the answers. All i could do was open to the hymn***** and get them to sign the first two stanzas. Them Mom got back and took over, which made it a lot better, though everybody else said i did a wonderful job.

My last teaching position was yesterday. At the H.'s, doing biology (with Erik H., Matthew H., and Nick S.), Mrs. S. (teacher) had to take most of her kids home, and Matthew and i were the only one who'd done the On Your Own 3.1, and i'm older.****** So i showed The Icks (Erik and Nick [IckIck and NickIck]) how it was done, and today Mrs. S. was telling me all about how NickIck was praising my good job, calling me a "born teacher."

A born teacher? I don't think there is such a thing. You could be a born bossy person. But teaching isn't an instinct. But it is a talent… and both my parents are teachers. But i was raised by them. So is it inherited or did i learn by watching my parents? I'm inclined (partially from my choir experience) to say it was watching my parents. Is that how i got musical too? And my love of reading? And obscure facts?******* I've also been told to lead JuJitsu once in a while when Mr. H. (different one) is busy, and when Scottie isn't there, since he's older and higher ranked than me. Though shorter. And oh so annoying. Worse than zAaron AND the Icks!

But i digress. The teaching thing is part of learning JuJitsu, so that isn't singling me out.

I guess i never really thought of Nick as getting older. Except now he's almost as tall as me. Which, by the way, is wrong. People don't grow taller than me. I grow taller than them sometimes. That's just the way everything works. However, Erik recently grew taller than me, but i let it slide since he's technically a little older.

Digression again.

So maybe Nick is getting more mature too… that would be interesting.

The plot thickens!

*Pastor's sixth
**S-M-R-T smrt!
***NOT United Parcel Service
****NOT Demented Orthodontist Whacks Nick S.
*****TLH 25
******These things are fun to use!
*******That one is just my Dad.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be silly, Maggie, of course there's such a thing as a born good teacher. The goal of the teacher is to teach, the way to teach is to know how to learn, and to know how to learn you have to understand others, so the biggest requirement for a good teacher is empathy, which is something you can be born with a little or a lot of.

    Pr. S moment: The word I had to type to post this was 'ptubqm.' Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ::shakes head:: Maggie, Maggie, Maggie... You are far too easily annoyed. You think Zaaroon and the Icks are bad?!?!? Ha! Ya must know that as you get older people will think your annoyance is exactly the opposite of what you say. ::coughbeingannoyedbysomeonemeansyoulikethemcough::

    tdodsy!

    ReplyDelete